Wishing for a Green Christmas

Environment

While Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, we as consumers increase our spending in the run up to Christmas to make sure we have all bases covered. With a little forethought and planning we can reduce the volume of waste, which is the ultimate by-product of our consumption, and make our Christmases a little greener.

Each year there is a heavy influx of packaging waste to be processed with an increase of approximately 25% around the festive period. According to Repak Ireland, approximately 80% of us will recycle the packaging from our Christmas presents this year leaving the other 20% to end up in landfill or worse as litter. We produce 74,000 tonnes of used glass, paper and cardboard, which is equivalent to 44kg of waste per household. The above infographic highlights where some of our Christmas waste comes from.

By being a little more conscious about the amount of food we consume at Christmas and by being creative with leftovers, we will be able to reduce the amount of food waste we generate. Coming up with more innovative ways to wrap and present our Christmas gifts, such as using gift bags and boxes, we will be able to reduce the amount of wrapping paper used leading to reduced CO2 emissions. Making an effort to recycle the plastic and cardboard packaging that accompanies many gifts received over the festive period will lead to reduced levels of packaging ending up in landfill. Choosing a real Christmas tree over a fake one will not only support the local economy, but also the environment as they are transported over shorter distances and are biodegradable. If properly recycled, real Christmas trees can be made into mulch, which can be used on other vegetation to retain soil moisture, regulate soil temperature and suppress weed growth. In addition to choosing a real Christmas tree, decorating it with LED lights will use less energy than incandescent lights.

By taking a few small steps over the upcoming festive period we can greatly reduce the environmental impact we have on the planet this Christmas.

Sources:

Commerical Waste

Voice Ireland

Repak Ireland

 

Tags
Christmas , Christmas Waste , Environment , environmental impact , Food Waste , Recycle
Related Posts
Brexit Implications for Irish ODS and F-Gas Companies ISO 14001 – Clause 6.1.2 Environmental Aspects ISO 14001 – What is an environmental policy? F-Gases and ODS: No-Deal Brexit guide The New Single-Use Plastics Directive ISO 14001 – Clause 5.2: Environmental Policy ISO 14001 – Clause 4.3: Determining the scope of the Environmental Management System ISO 14001-Clause 4.2: Understanding the needs and expectations of interested parties Environmental Impacts of Valentine’s Day ISO 14001 – Environmental Management Systems
Request a Demo  
Request a Demo

See Pegasus in action

The best way to understand what Pegasus can do for you, is to see it in action. Request a demo and one of our consultants will set-up a quick online tailored demo to run through the relevant aspects of the service.
  • This form collects your details above so we can contact you back in relation to your enquiry. Please see our privacy policy for more information.